KMSP - Previews Round 3

Official Support Forum
Mir // Flightbeam
Flightbeam Commander
United States of America

KMSP - Previews Round 3

Post by Mir // Flightbeam » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:55 pm

February KMSP-HD Update

Hello Folks, time for a well deserved update. This project is entering approach and we're currently dialing in the ILS frequency. There's a plethora of new features and updates I want to talk about, but this is just a brief update so no one thinks this project has dropped off the face of this planet.

This is by far, the most ambitious project I've ever layed my hands on, and it's been extremely challenging. The amount of detail, accuracy, fidelity, and performance just blows away our previous product, KSFO-HD. I sincerely apologize for the delays, but in the end it will be worth it. Here are some highlights of this update:

- We've mentioned before in a few support topics about implementing a new "system" for installation and activation, so the cat is out of the bag at this point. Starting this year we're moving away from the Addon Manager / Couatl, and we're developing a totally custom new system which is more user-friendly and less prone to technical issues. I'm just skimming this topic, because a full announcement with screenshots of this exciting new system will be coming soon.

- The Delay.. what's it about? There has been production issues dealing with contractors since the start of this project. This has forced me to take on almost all the workload. The issues ranged from the quality of the production, to delays in getting assets. Since taking over, these issues have been resolved, however it has taken a hit on the schedule.
In addition to this, moving away from the Addon Manager/Couatl system is forcing me to use a totally new file format and container in the sim. There were many compatibility issues in the beginning, however changes were made and we're now set.

Please note from the screenshots, that there are no jetways and there may be additional missing details. These are things that still need attention and are not ready for display.
Jetways will be SODE, with a possibility of including an option to use standard FSX-type Ctrl+J jetways.

That's all for now, I will let the screenshots do the rest of the work.
Attachments
kmsp_feb11.jpg
Terminal 2 - Parking garage. In the background, thousands of hand placed trees at Fort Snelling National Cemetary
kmsp_feb10.jpg
Terminal 1 to Concourse F Bridge
kmsp_feb9.jpg
Terminal 1 to Concourse E bridge
kmsp_feb8.jpg
Concourse A - High-density detail
kmsp_feb7.jpg
Concourse B details
kmsp_feb6.jpg
FAA Tower - Also seen are ground details from the normal maps + specular maps featured all over the airport
kmsp_feb5.jpg
Concourse G - Details such as The markings on the wall in this smoking area actually exist as-seen in real life.
kmsp_feb4.jpg
Concourse G detail
kmsp_feb3.jpg
High-density detail at Terminal 2
kmsp_feb2.jpg
Terminal 1 to Concourse F
kmsp_feb1.jpg
Terminal 1

bartel11
Verified Customer
United States of America

Re: KMSP - Previews Round 3

Post by bartel11 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks for the update Mir.

The best work we've seen yet!

kwensi
Verified Customer

Post by kwensi » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:55 pm

This is an amazing airport. I live here in Minneapolis and have flown through this airport a thousand times. This is absolutely gorgeous, Great work and good work done cant wait to swipe. I convinced the wife to get this as soon as its out. Thank you for the update.

stevefocus
Verified Customer
Great Britain

Post by stevefocus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:24 pm

Looks amazing, can't wait for release.
Prepar3d v4, XP11
Windows 10 64bit
i7 6700K@4.6GHz
Asus ROG Strix GTX1080Ti OC
32GB Corsair Vengeance@2400MHz
256GB OCZ Vertex 4, 512GB OCZ Vector, 480GB OCZ Vector 150 and 6TB+4TB WD Black, 1TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2
Acer Predator X34
Corsair 900D

viperxbr
Verified Customer

Post by viperxbr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:55 pm

Looking good!

Also extremely glad you're getting rid of that horrendous Addon Manager/Couatl software. :D Nothing but headaches, especially the last few weeks.

Cheers,
Todd.
Last edited by viperxbr on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garrettprs
Verified Customer

Post by garrettprs » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:41 pm

This looks pretty incredible. Should get along well with the new 717 (once bugs get ironed out).

Is it reasonable to assume that the other Flightbeam products will be updated with the new installation/activation service?

DhruvK
United States of America

Post by DhruvK » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:06 pm

You've outdone yourself. Also, I cheered out loud when I saw you're moving off Couatl!

Ben F.
Verified Customer
United States of America

Post by Ben F. » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Stunning! Looking forward to this scenery so much and the fact it won't use the current addon manager!
ATP, CFII and 737NG First Officer

DhruvK
United States of America

Post by DhruvK » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:11 pm

Looking closer at the ground markings, I understand everything is still a WIP, but it appears your red/white gate safety zone markings are reversed - the red should run around the outer perimeter of each gate zone, not the inner. The red jet bridge safe hatch marks overlap with them as a result. EDIT: at least that's the case at Delta gates (A/B/C/D/F/G concourses). I went out of E6 this morning, and United's safe zones are white outer, as is also the case at DEN and SFO. American uses white/red/white striping on theirs at E12-16.

References:
Last edited by DhruvK on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

a320wolf
Verified Customer
Italy

Post by a320wolf » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:49 pm

:o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

In my humble opinion, you are the best developer perhaps in the history of flight simulator regarding sceneries. Others have levels of high quality but the precision, attention to detail, and above all the support you offer are unique. I started to fly in the US as an excuse to use your products and now I'm a virtual pilot for United Virtual :D

My first Flightbeam scenery was Phoenix, then the great SFO and at the end I bought Denver (my UVA base), my favorite airport! The water effects, the winter textures are amazing! I'm ready for a flight from KDEN to KMSP now ;)

Thanks for your work!
Regards, Massimo
Last edited by a320wolf on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intel I7-9700K + Noctua NH-D15 | G.Skill 16GB 2666Mhz CL15 | GTX1080 | SSD 970PRO 512GB + 840 Pro 512GB | Win10Pro 64 | Samsung SJ55W Ultrawide Monitor | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog + Saitek ProPedals | P3D v4.4

pmb
Verified Customer
Germany

Post by pmb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:12 am

I am more than happy to see you'll get rid of the error-prone couatl system. While I have all your airports I own up and running right now in Prepar3d3, I would be very happy to have couatl-free installers available when it will come to the next round of re-installs. whenever this may be (who knows... according to rumors, rather soon).

I have even seen people running the addon manager accidentally "optimizing" their system with nonsense config entries, which might well happen if you are not that experienced with the system.

And, yes, sign me in for KMSP. And for NZAA. :D

Kind regards, Michael

KingCat
Verified Customer

Post by KingCat » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:00 am

Is AES support going to be included?
Take it, or leave it.

StarBlue
United States of America

Post by StarBlue » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:10 am

Mir,

Looking awesome! Looking forward to the scenery as well as the new system!!! Let me know when I can help.
Jhan M. Jensen
KOGD / KSLC

Mir // Flightbeam
Flightbeam Commander
United States of America

Post by Mir // Flightbeam » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:23 am

Thanks for the comments!
DhruvK wrote:Looking closer at the ground markings, I understand everything is still a WIP, but it appears your red/white gate safety zone markings are reversed - the red should run around the outer perimeter of each gate zone, not the inner. The red jet bridge safe hatch marks overlap with them as a result.
You are correct 8-) That adjustment was down the list, but was hoping no one would notice it yet.
KingCat wrote:Is AES support going to be included?
AES will be compatible, however as always, I'm sure it will take a little bit for the AES team to provide an update to support it.
viperxbr wrote: Also extremely glad you're getting rid of that horrendous Addon Manager/Couatl software. :D Nothing but headaches, especially that last few weeks.
Couatl is a powerful tool. But it was overkill for us, as I never used many of its features (ie, change objects/animations via menu, etc). A lot of the features we were using Addon Manager/Couatl for is now available to do without such a system. But yea.. the recent problems in the past few months has made the decision a bit easier. Unfortunately about 90% of our support emails were related to Addon Manager/Couatl. I think it fits FSDT's needs much better than ours, as they have much more complex products, such as GSX.

Bartolomeus
Verified Customer

Post by Bartolomeus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:02 am

Looks great, very impressive work!

Marko

MCarter
Verified Customer

Post by MCarter » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:54 am

Looking quite good...I take that back...it looks fantastic!

guibru
Verified Customer
France

Post by guibru » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:05 am

So much, fantastic capture. Congrat !
Guibru

FlyingMax
Verified Customer

Post by FlyingMax » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:42 am

Outstanding shots Mir. I like what I see :)

gvert
Verified Customer
Germany

Post by gvert » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:50 am

Great work again Mir! Another 'must have!' :)

precious62b
Verified Customer
United States of America

Post by precious62b » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:30 pm

I'm so ready!!!! Keep taking your time as we all know it will surely be worth it!
Air Traffic Controller ZMA

cosnowboarder_777
Verified Customer
United States of America

Post by cosnowboarder_777 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:56 pm

Looks fantastic. Looking forward to this one.
John Bauer

Alex Kulak
Verified Customer
United States of America

Post by Alex Kulak » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:31 pm

it looks to damn real

JonFocus03
Verified Customer

Post by JonFocus03 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:14 am

Great work! Are we still looking at Q1 this year?

Jon

IronCondorsim
United States of America

Post by IronCondorsim » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:28 am

Looks great. I am curious to know why everytime I use a Flightbeam Studios product the frame rates are "EXCELLENT"? When I fly into "other" aiports frames drop like 20FPS. I have extensively tested this and FBS products are so much smoother? Is there a special developing technique?

Mir // Flightbeam
Flightbeam Commander
United States of America

Post by Mir // Flightbeam » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:48 am

JonFocus03 wrote:Great work! Are we still looking at Q1 this year?

Jon
Q1 or Q2... it's always very hard to set a specific time frame
IronCondorsim wrote:Looks great. I am curious to know why everytime I use a Flightbeam Studios product the frame rates are "EXCELLENT"? When I fly into "other" aiports frames drop like 20FPS. I have extensively tested this and FBS products are so much smoother? Is there a special developing technique?
Having worked in the game industry for quite some time before working on FS stuff, I've learned quite a few optimization techniques. This has a direct effect on these products ;)

Alex Kulak
Verified Customer
United States of America

Post by Alex Kulak » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:16 am

ever thought about creating your own modeling system for FSX/P3D for the future, that will maximize your options for the sim industry as far as world wide global scenery goes?

mikestout
United States of America

Post by mikestout » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:24 pm

I will second what IronCondorsim said. I own all the FlightBeam airports and end up flying to them more than any other simply because the frame rates are so good.

Mike